We receive a lot of calls about “something” that died in the wall. If you have used poison to control your rat problem, then that something is more than likely a dead rat. The smell can be nauseating, and some people literally have to leave their home until the dead rat is removed. If the rat is not removed and the location deodorized, it can take months for the smell to go away on its own, and nobody wants to live with that in their home!
When rats die inside your home, they can fall down into the wall void. The rat’s final resting place is usually at the bottom of the inside of a wall between the studs. Unfortunately, it is much harder to locate a dead rat than a live one! Live rats make noise, but dead ones… well, they just stink!
Many pest control companies prefer poison to trapping when it comes to rat control. In severe rat infestation situations, poison will certainly have a faster effect than trapping. However, these rats do not always die outside. Rodents can die inside your home, often in inaccessible areas such as behind large appliances or behind a furnace. Also keep in mind that domestic pets and other animals can accidentally ingest the poison, or even eat a poisoned rodent.
When using rat traps, the animals are killed instantly and easy to find still in the trap. We remove the trap and rat together, and never reuse rat traps.
When dealing with a dead rat in the wall, the Boroscope is our technician’s preferred item of choice. Armed with a flexible lens and LED lights, this useful tool can peek into the darkest recesses to look for the deceased rodent. A Boroscope is basically a camera on a thin, flexible rod. The technician will bore a small hole in your wall, and thread the Boroscope through the opening to look for the rodent.
Once the dead rodent is located, the technician will cut a small hole in the wall near your baseboard beside the rodent. The technician will remove the dead animal, and then deodorize the area with industrial disinfectant. Goodbye, terrible odor. And goodbye, Mr. Stinky Rat!
The aftermath of a dead rat goes beyond the foul odor; it brings forth a silent danger – bacteria. As the rat decomposes, harmful bacteria multiply, contaminating the air and surfaces nearby. Breathing in these airborne particles can lead to respiratory issues.
This bacteria can spread through contact, posing health risks to humans and pets. Proper handling and disposal are crucial to prevent infection. Regularly disinfecting the area and surrounding surfaces is essential to getting rid of lingering bacteria. At Apex Wildlife Control, our technicians are diligent in disinfecting and deodorizing the dead rat’s final resting place. So if you have a dead rat somewhere in your home, give us a call today. We are here to help!
Click On Your Rat Problem Below
We also perform wildlife trapping in Memphis TN for squirrels, raccoons, moles,
skunks, opossums, voles, armadillos and much more.
So if you have some little visitors you need evicted from your home or property,
give Apex Wildlife Control a call today.
We are here to help!